School Counseling Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential | Credential-Only Program | San Francisco, San Diego, Irvine and Los Angeles, California
COMPLETE A SCHOOL COUNSELING PPS CREDENTIAL AND PURSUE A SCHOOL COUNSELING CAREER
IN K-12 SCHOOLS
The Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Counseling program is designed for those individuals with a master's degree in psychology, counseling,
or education fields and who wish to pursue a career as a credentialed California school counselor. The program is ideal for LMFT and LPCC professionals who seek careers in K-12 schools.
This credential program in school counseling results only in the recommendation to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for the PPS Credential in School Counseling. It does not result in a master’s degree.
The PPS Credential in School Counseling program allows candidates to receive transfer credit for designated courses within the School Counseling curriculum by submitting evidence of the candidate's previously and successfully completed graduate course equivalents and/or approved practicum hours. Interested candidates should complete and submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form.
In addition to completing required assessment courses and other core courses specific to the practice of school counseling, candidates complete applied learning experiences through practicum hours at approved school sites. Candidates must complete a minimum of 100 total clock hours in a practicum experience, or provide evidence of acceptable past practicum experience that may be substituted for a portion of this total. Examples of such experiences include:
- Peer counseling related to a university or college program practicum course;
- Personal and career assessments;
- Personal counseling experience in either an individual or group context;
- School-based programs serving parents and family members;
- Community service programs serving children and families;
- School-related experience such as "shadowing a school counselor, observing classroom instruction, attending district and school based meetings, and mapping.
The program culminates in a 600-hour supervised field experience that provides opportunity for the candidate to perform the functions of a school counselor in school counseling domains. Up to 150 hours shall be devoted to issues of diversity. This may be satisfied with up to 100 hours in a diversity program or with the development and implementation of a program that addresses diversity issues, AND one of the following two options:
- At least 50 clock hours shall be with at least 10 pupils (individually or in a group) of a racial and ethnic background different from that of the candidates; or
- All 150 clock hours with pupils of a racial and ethnic background different from that of the candidate.
All required practicum hours and the program's comprehensive exam must be successfully completed prior to the field placement.
MAKE YOUR MARK AS A SCHOOL COUNSELOR
Graduates of Alliant’s School Counseling master’s program will be prepared to work as school counselors in elementary and secondary school settings. School counselors serve as student advocates and counseling support, working with other professionals within the school (teachers, school psychologists, school nurses, etc.) to create positive learning environments that maximize students’ success.
School counselors design and implement counseling programs that help to equip students to better manage emotions and behaviors, make decisions, cope with challenges, prevent and resolve conflicts, overcome learning disorders, and improve attendance. School counselors also assist students in improving self-management skills, and provide guidance toward helping students achieve future goals through appropriate career and academic counseling.
SCHOOL COUNSELING PPS CREDENTIAL-ONLY PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- 12 minimum units of coursework (44 maximum units) + 5 units of field placement. Total
number of hours will vary dependent upon each candidate's academic graduate record
and course and practicum equivalents.
- Full program completion within 2-2.5 years maximum. Accelerated completion in as soon
as 18 months may be possible for some candidates.
- 100 school counseling practicum hours required. Total practicum hours may vary dependent
upon each candidate's approved experience transfers.
- 600 hours of supervised field placement in school counseling required. Candidates are responsible for securing a field placement with support and guidance from Alliant.
- Late afternoon and evening classes for working adults.
- Low-student-to-faculty ratio/small class sizes.
- No GRE requirement.
- Four California locations: San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine, and San Francisco
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments, and any relevant experience working with children and adolescents
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants.
The following are not admission requirements, but they are required at different points during the program:
- Clear TB (tuberculosis) verification
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting)
- Passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) prior to completion of program's first year
- CTC 41-4 application form
TRANSFER CREDIT EVALUATION
Interested in finding out how your prior graduate units may transfer into our program? Complete our Transfer Credit Evaluation Form. To request the form and to get answers to any questions regarding possible coursework transfer or process, please complete the request for information form below or email us.
EARN YOUR PPS CREDENTIAL IN SCHOOL COUNSELING FROM AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY
Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Pupil Personnel Services Credential is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION - ONLINE OR ON-CAMPUS!
- May 6, 2015 | 6:00 PM | SF, LA, San Diego & Irvine Campuses | Register Now
- May 19, 2015 | 6:00 PM | San Francisco Campus | Register Now
- May 20, 2015 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- June 16, 2015 | 6:00 PM | San Diego Campus | Register Now
- June 17, 2015 | 6:00 PM | Los Angeles Campus | Register Now
- June 18, 2015 | 6:00 PM | Irvine Campus | Register Now
- July 15, 2015 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- July 21, 2015 | 6:00 PM | San Francisco Campus | Register Now
- August 5, 2015 | 6:00 PM | Irvine Campus | Register Now
- August 6, 2015 | 6:00 PM | Los Angeles Campus | Register Now
- August 12, 2015 | 6:00 PM | San Diego Campus | Register Now
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION