Home   >   HSOE   >   Programs, Degrees and Credentials   >   School Psychology   >   Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Psychology  

Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Psychology

Transition to a School Psychology Career in K-12 Schools

The Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Psychology program is designed for those individuals with a master's degree in an education, psychology or counseling field and who wish to pursue a career as a practicing California school psychologist.

This credential program in school psychology results only in the award of a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) approved PPS credential in school psychology. It does not result in a master’s degree.

The PPS Credential in School Psychology program allows candidates to receive transfer credit for designated courses within the School Psychology curriculum by submitting evidence of the candidate's previously and successfully completed graduate course equivalents. Interested candidates should complete and submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form.

In addition to completing assessment courses and other core courses specific to the practice of school psychology, candidates complete applied learning experiences through practicum hours at approved school sites.

The program culminates in a required 1200-hour PPS Credential internship. All coursework and a comprehensive examination must be completed prior to beginning the internship.

Program Overview

  • Minimum 27 units of core curriculum + 10 units of PPS credential internship. Total number of units will vary dependent upon each candidate’s academic graduate record and course equivalents.
  • Maximum of 450 practicum hours – Total practicum hours will vary dependent upon each candidate’s approved course waivers
  • 1200 PPS Credential internship hours
  • Late afternoon, evening and/or weekend classes for working adults
  • Low student-to-faculty ratio
  • No GRE requirement
  • Option to apply for early admission to Alliant's PsyD in Educational Psychology program, allowing for completion of the credential program and doctorate in as few as five years


  • Six California locations: San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine, San Francisco, Fresno and Sacramento

Admission Terms

  • Fall (review application deadlines and our rolling admissions policy on our admissions page)

Admission Requirements

  • Application - Apply now online
  • Master's degree in an approved field, such as marriage and family therapy, counseling psychology, special education or another discipline related to education, psychology or counseling (subject to program director approval)
  • Interview
  • Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
  • CV/Resume
  • 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience working with children and adolescents
  • Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
  • $65 application fee
  • International students are not eligible for admission to the credential-only program

Additional Requirements

The following are not admission requirements, but they are required at different points during the program:

  • Clear TB (tuberculosis) verification prior to beginning practicum hours
  • Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting) prior to beginning practicum hours
  • Passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) prior to completion of program's first year
  • Professional liability insurance during internship semesters (available at a discount for student members of NASP)
  • Passing score on the national school psychology (PRAXIS II) examination prior to completion of internship

Transfer Graduate Credit Evaluation

Interested in finding out how your prior graduate units may transfer into our program? Complete our Transfer Credit Evaluation Form. To request the form and to get answers to any questions regarding possible coursework transfer or process, please complete the request for information form below or email us.

Helpful Links