Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Psychology | Credential Only Program | San Francisco, San Diego, Irvine and Los Angeles, California
EARN A PPS CREDENTIAL AND BEGIN A CAREER IN K-12 SCHOOLS AS AN EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST
The Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Psychology program is designed for those individuals with a master's degree in an education, psychology or counseling field and who wish to pursue a career as a practicing California school psychologist.
This credential program in school psychology is an abbreviated version of the Master of Arts in Education in School Psychology with PPS Credential degree program and results only in the award of a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) approved PPS credential in school psychology. It does not result in a master’s degree.
The PPS Credential in School Psychology program allows for designated courses within the School Psychology master's program to be waived with evidence of a candidate's previously completed graduate course equivalents.
In addition to completing assessment courses and other core courses specific to the practice of school psychology, candidates complete applied learning experiences through practicum hours at approved school sites.
The program culminates in a required 1200-hour PPS Credential internship. All coursework and a comprehensive examination must be completed prior to beginning the internship.
PPS CREDENTIAL IN SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- Minimum 20 units of core curriculum + 10 units of PPS credential internship. Total number of units will vary dependent upon each candidate’s academic graduate record and course equivalents.
- Total program completion time is dependent upon program start. Fall starts complete the program at a less intensive pace over a total of three years. Summer starts complete the program at a more intensive pace over approximately two years.
- Maximum of 450 practicum hours – Total practicum hours will vary dependent upon each candidate’s approved course waivers
- 1200 PPS Credential internship hours
- Late afternoon, evening and/or weekend classes for working adults
- Low student-to-faculty ratio
- No GRE requirement
- Option to apply for early admission to Alliant's PsyD in Educational Psychology program, allowing for completion of the master's, credential and doctorate in five years
- Four California locations: San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine and San Francisco
- Fall and Summer terms (review application deadlines and our rolling admissions policy on our admissions page)
- Application - Apply now online
- Master's degree in an approved field, such as marriage and family therapy, counseling psychology, special education or another discipline related to education, psychology or counseling (subject to program director approval)
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience working with children and adolescents
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants.
The following are not admission requirements, but they are required at different points during the program:
- Clear TB (tuberculosis) verification prior to beginning practicum hours
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting) prior to beginning practicum hours
- Passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) prior to completion of program's first year
- Professional liability insurance during internship semesters (available at a discount for student members of NASP)
- Passing score on the national school psychology (PRAXIS II) examination prior to completion of internship
Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Pupil Personnel Services Credential is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
- Attend an Information Session or Open Campus Day
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Curriculum and Course Descriptions
- School Psychology Program Faculty
APPLY NOW - ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR FALL 2013