Mexico City Immersion Program
THE WORLD NEEDS CLINICIANS WITH AN INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE
Saludos! The International Counseling Psychology program at Alliant International University’s Mexico City campus invites you to come to Mexico this summer! Join us to engage and dialogue, and to be a part of an experience aimed at transforming how we approach clinical work in our interconnected world.
DATES: JUNE 29 - AUGUST 2, 2014
The Summer Spanish Language and Cultural Immersion program is designed and implemented on the foundation of five educational pillars:
- Critical Pedagogy
- Liberation Psychology
- Self of the Therapist Focus
- Pointillism Approach to Culture
- Spanish Language Training for Mental Health Workers
The Summer Spanish Language and Cultural Immersion program will run from June 29 (arrival day) to August 2 (departure day). For those taking academic classes, this in-person component will follow 5 weeks of online coursework. Prepare now to be part of this life impacting educational experience! It will also be a chance to meet faculty and future colleagues who share your passion about social-justice oriented mental health approaches from an international perspective! Here is a small sample of what this year’s program will include:
- The option to earn a Certificate in Latin American Family Therapy.
- Learn from and help facilitate a camp for and learn from children who have been living on the street.
- Learn Latin American originating approaches to mental health from leading Latino and international experts.
- Two trips to different regions in Mexico
- Exposure to indigenous healing practices and the opportunity to participate in a Temezcal.
- Clinical theories and ideas for serving impoverished and oppressed communities.
- Increased awareness of how U.S. culture shapes mental health approaches and opportunities to gain international clinical competencies.
A number of academic courses will also be offered, three of which will help you meet the requirements for the Certificate in Latin American Family Therapy. We will have outstanding faculty joining us this summer who draw on ideas from Paulo Freire’s critical pedagogy and you have the experience of being co-creators of knowledge with them! The classes offered for Summer 2014 are:
- PSY 6643 Critical Issues in Latin America (3 units)
- PSY 6317 Parent-Child Therapy (3 units)
- PSY 6303 Group Therapy (3 units) TBA
- PSY 6311 Introduction to Psychopathology (3 units)
- PSY 6654 Latin American & Liberation Psychology*
- PSY 7312 Sex Therapy (2 units)
*Required for those interested in earning the Certificate in Latin American Family Therapy
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and in good standing in (a) An undergraduate psychology program; (b) A graduate mental health training program; or (c) have graduated from an accredited mental health training program.
- Applicants must submit a 1-2 page essay describing their reasons for being interested in being part of an immersion program focused preparing clinicans to work with Latino communties. Essays should be sent via email to Ms. Vania Quiroz
- Applicants need to arrange for a brief phone interview with Dr. Jason Platt.
PROGRAM FEE: $3,500
+ Air travel to/from Mexico City (arranged by participant)
+ Tuition for any of the courses taken during the program
Includes housing, meals, Spanish coursework and materials, entrance fees to program activities, and travel from Mexico City to other regions of Mexico.
There is a $500 discount for those who complete the application process and enroll in the program before November 15, 2013.
1. Email Dr. Jason Platt and confirm that you are interested in participating in this year’s immersion program.
2. Please arrange a time for an interview with Dr. Platt.
3. Secure your spot for the 2013 program by submitting a non-refundable deposit of
$250 by November 15, 2013 for the discounted rate or by March 15, 2014 for the standard
rate. Please make the check payable to Alliant International University and put "Mexico
Summer Immersion Program" in the memo section and mail it to the address below:
Alliant International University
10455 Pomerado Road, M-18
San Diego, CA 92131-1799
4. Apply for a passport if you do not already have one. For more information, please
consult the State Department website at:
5. Consult with your home campus program director about the possibility of attending the program and to confirm whether academic courses can be used to meet existing program requirements in your home program.
6. If you wish to earn the Certificate in Latin American Family Therapy, please contact Chelsiah Scouras to request an application.
7. Contact your local financial aid office to learn about financial aid options for this program.
8. Buy a journal and your plane ticket!
For any additional questions, please contact the program director:
Jason Platt, PhD, Program Director
Counseling Psychology Program
Alliant International University-Mexico City Campus
Take care, and we look forward to having you visit beautiful Mexico soon!