English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Program
International Language Education and Cultural Center
San Diego, California
LEARN TO COMMAND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WITH CONFIDENCE
Alliant's English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program provides students from around the world with the life-changing opportunity to improve skills and increase confidence with the English language.
Whether you are just beginning to learn English or you have advanced ability, we offer a selection of engaging and intensive courses customized to your specific English language needs and learning style. Our number one goal is to prepare you to communicate effectively and confidently in English so that you may excel in your personal, professional and academic lives.
WHY ALLIANT’S ESOL PROGRAM IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR YOU
- Improve your English speaking, reading, writing, and listening skills
- Learn from a faculty who are experts in teaching English to speakers of other languages
- Increase your confidence communicating in English
- Study on our southern California campus in beautiful San Diego
- Take only the courses you need based upon your English ability levels
- Gain experience with other cultures through our university’s diverse student population
- Prepare for future academic success in English language instruction classrooms
- Open doors to professional opportunities requiring English language mastery
- Potentially satisfy English proficiency requirements to gain admission to one of Alliant International University’s bachelor’s or graduate programs in fields such as TESOL, education, business/management, psychology, and criminal justice. Alliant is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY LEVELS
Alliant ensures that each student is placed at the appropriate English proficiency level for instruction and coursework through the administration of a placement exam and evaluation of their speaking abilities. Students may not necessarily be at the same level in all skill areas. All students are required to first take this placement exam upon entering the program.
Alliant’s ESOL program includes five levels of English proficiency and instruction:
- Level I: Beginning
- Level II: Low Intermediate
- Level III: Intermediate
- Level IV: High Intermediate
- Level V: Advanced
Each English proficiency level consists of four classes over a 16-week period. Each class meets five hours per week, for a minimum of 20 hours of study per week.
All students complete the following courses per each proficiency level:
- Writing and Grammar
- Reading and Vocabulary
- Listening and Speaking
- Integrated Skills
The Integrated Skills course topic varies by each proficiency level:
- Level I: Conversation Partners I
- Level II: Conversation Partners II
- Level III: English through Technology
- Level IV: Elective/Special Topics
- Level V: Elective/Special Projects
- ESOL program tuition: $421/unit
- Cost per 3-unit course: $1,263/course
- Total cost with full course load per each proficiency level: $5,052
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Dr, Ken Kelch