California Preliminary Teaching Credential Student Teaching Path | San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles, California
Alliant's Student Teaching path allows aspiring teachers to earn a K-12 California Preliminary Single Subject or Multiple Subject Credential through a cohort-model blending online coursework, on-site seminars, expert mentoring, and supervised instructional experiences within a classroom.
You will gain a deep understanding of pedagogy and best practices in education, and
then you will put that knowledge to use as a student teacher under the guidance of
an experienced Master Teacher and the supportive coaching of an Alliant field supervisor.
Upon the program's completion, you will be fully prepared to lead your own California
Alliant has prepared hundreds of California educators for an effective, rewarding and enduring career as a teacher serving the state's diverse student populations and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
- Program available in Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Areas
- 28 total units (credential only)
- 37 total units with optional online Master of Arts in Education with Teaching Emphasis
- Completion in one to two years depending upon full- or part-time study
- Enter and progress through the program with a cohort of other student teachers
- Begin pedagogy coursework and classroom observations prior to beginning your student teaching placement
- Coursework, e-journals and other assignments are completed online
- Attend required seminars held 10 weekday evenings and two Saturdays per semester
- Complete coursework, e-journals and other assignments online
- Complete an 18-week, full-time student teaching experience at an Alliant-approved
school site under the guidance of a Master Teacher
- Gain experience in at least two grade levels
- Assume total teaching responsibility for at least two full weeks during each student teaching placement
- Receive mentorship and support through a minimum of eight classroom observations and coaching sessions conducted by your designated Alliant field supervisor
WHEN TO APPLY
Admission is granted each Fall, Spring and Summer semester on a rolling admissions basis. Qualified applicants will continue to be accepted up until a semester's start date provided that space remains available.
However, we do encourage prospective students to apply as early as possible to achieve the following: secure program position and desired start date; make sure all required testing may be completed in time; and receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities.
|Term||Priority Deadline||Rolling Admissions Deadline/Term Start
||December 2||January 27|
|Summer 2014||May 1||June 9|
|Fall 2014||July 1||September 2|
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience in teaching or working with children and adolescents, and/or within K-12 schools
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants
STUDENT TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Hufstedler School of Education's general admission requirements, student teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any student teaching placement. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety.
Please note that these are not admission requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program - only to participate in the student teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- Completion of 14 units of teacher education coursework, at least 8 units of which must have been completed in residence at Alliant
- GPA of 3.0 or better in teacher education coursework
- Statement of Release for Student Teaching
- Negative TB test completed within two years of placement date
- CCTC Certificate of Clearance
- Receipt of Livescan Fingerprinting and Background Clearance
- Affidavit for Certificate of Clearance
- Student Teaching Placement Form
- Recommendation by the program director
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests) prior to beginning student teaching placement, and/or obtain a subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University
- For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-approprate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area (for the Preliminary Single Subject Credential only) prior to beginning student teaching placement
CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY AND A CCTC-APPROVED PROGRAM
The Hufstedler School of Education’s program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).