Student Teaching | Master's in Teaching with Preliminary California Teaching Credential
Alliant's Student Teaching option allows you to pursue both your Master of Arts in Education in Teaching and a K-12 California Preliminary Teaching Credential through a blend of comprehensive coursework, expert mentoring and supervised instructional experience within a classroom.
Our rich program combines convenient online coursework and evening/weekend seminars to provide you with a deep understanding of pedagogy and best practices in education. You'll then put that knowledge to use as a student teacher leading a classroom under the guidance of an experienced Master Teacher and the supportive coaching of an Alliant mentor.
We've prepared hundreds of California educators for an effective, rewarding and enduring career as a teacher serving California's diverse student population and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
STUDENT TEACHING AT-A-GLANCE
- Available for Preliminary Single or Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Includes Master of Arts in Education in Teaching
- 37 units (inclusive of master's and credential)
- Full- or part-time study options available
- Hybrid program with both online courses and on-ground seminars
- Required attendance at all evening seminars
- Minimum of 8 classroom observations by an Alliant mentor/field supervisor
- Regular coaching sessions with Alliant mentor/field supervisor
- 18-week, full-time student teaching experience at Alliant-designated school site with
district appointed Master Teacher
- Experience in at least two grade levels
- At least two full weeks of total teaching responsibility during each student teaching placement
STUDENT TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Hufstedler School of Education's general admission requirements, student teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any student teaching assignment. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety.
Please note that these are not requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program - only to participate in the student teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- Completion of 14 units of teacher education coursework, at least 8 units of which must have been completed in residence at Alliant
- GPA of 3.0 or better in teacher education coursework
- Statement of Release for Student Teaching
- Negative TB test completed within two years of placement date
- CCTC Certificate of Clearance
- Receipt of Livescan Fingerprinting and Background Clearance
- Affidavit for Certificate of Clearance
- Student Teaching Placement Form
- Recommendation by the program director
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests) prior to beginning student teaching placement, and/or obtain a subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University
- For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-approprate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area (for the Preliminary Single Subject Credential only) prior to beginning student teaching placement
CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY AND A CTC-APPROVED PROGRAM
The Hufstedler School of Education’s program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).