School Counseling Graduate Degree Program with Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential | Master of Arts in Education | San Francisco, San Diego, Irvine and Los Angeles, California
EARN A MASTER'S IN SCHOOL COUNSELING AND BECOME AN ADVOCATE FOR STUDENTS' SUCCESS
The master's degree program in School Counseling is for candidates who wish to pursue a school counseling career working with children and adolescents in pre-K-12 schools. Embedded with the program is the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) credential recommendation made to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) that is required for employment as a California school counselor within school districts.
Graduates of Alliant’s School Counseling master’s program will be prepared to work as school counselors in elementary and secondary school settings. School counselors serve as student advocates and counseling support, working with other professionals within the school (teachers, school psychologists, school nurses, etc.) to create positive learning environments that maximize students’ success.
School counselors design and implement counseling programs that help to equip students to better manage emotions and behaviors, make decisions, cope with challenges, prevent and resolve conflicts, overcome learning disorders, and improve attendance. School counselors also assist students in improving self-management skills, and provide guidance toward helping students achieve future goals through appropriate career and academic counseling.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Successful candidates for the School Counseling master's program may have degrees, experience, and backgrounds in a variety of areas, including: counseling, psychology, sociology, education, child development, liberal students, teaching, social work, and more.
MASTER'S IN SCHOOL COUNSELING WITH PPS CREDENTIAL PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- 44 units of coursework + 5 units of field placement.
- Full program completion within 2-2.5 years.
- 100 school counseling practicum hours required.
- 600 hours of supervised field placement in school counseling required. Candidates are responsible for securing a field placement with support and guidance from Alliant.
- Late afternoon and evening classes for working adults.
- Low-student-to-faculty ratio/small class sizes.
- No GRE requirement.
- No prerequisites.
- Four California locations: San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine, and San Francisco
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments, and any relevant experience working with children and adolescents
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants.
The following are not admission requirements, but they are required at different points during the program:
- Clear TB (tuberculosis) verification
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting)
- Passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) prior to completion of program's first year
- CTC 41-4 application form
SCHOOL COUNSELING PPS CREDENTIAL-ONLY PROGRAM OPTION FOR QUALIFIED CANDIDATES
If you seek a school counseling career and already hold a master's degree in marriage and family therapy, counseling psychology, clinical counseling, special education, education, or another related field, you may be eligible for Alliant's Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential-only program in School Counseling.
EARN YOUR GRADUATE DEGREE IN SCHOOL COUNSELING FROM AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY
Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Pupil Personnel Services Credential is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION - ONLINE OR ON-CAMPUS!
- September 30 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- December 8 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- January 22 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- March 11 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- May 20 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- July 15 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION