School Psychology Master's Program with Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
Make A Difference As A California School Psychologist
The Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) degree program in School Psychology is for candidates who wish to pursue a career in educational psychology and become a school psychologist in California working with children and adolescents in pre-K-12 schools. Embedded within the program is the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) credential that is required for employment as a school psychologist within California school districts.
Alliant's school psychology degree program prepares professionals who are committed to service and advocacy on behalf of students, families and teachers. Our students and alumni are skilled at providing valuable and life-changing mental health, specials needs and culturally-competent services, including assessments, interventions, and individualized education and behavior modification plans.
Alliant's educational psychology master's program will establish you as an expert able to help students and families learn to cope with a variety of emotional, social and academic challenges. These challenges may include language and cultural barriers, substance abuse, violence, victimization and learning or behavioral disorders. A focus on diversity, multiculturalism and internationalism is one of the core tenants of Alliant International University and a distinguishing feature of our school psychology program.
- 50 units of coursework + 10 units of PPS credential internship
- Full program completion in three years (or five years if also pursing the PsyD)
- Complete coursework and 450 practicum hours during the program's first two years
- Complete a 1200 hour internship during the program's third year (required to earn the PPS Credential in School Psychology)
- Late afternoon, evening and/or weekend classes for working adults
- Low student-to-faculty ratio/small class sizes
- No GRE requirement
- No prerequisites - any undergraduate major is welcome to apply
- Option to apply for advanced standing in Alliant's PsyD in Educational Psychology program to earn your PsyD in just two additional years
- Six California locations: San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine, San Francisco, Fresno and Sacramento
- Fall term only (review application deadlines and our rolling admissions policy on our admissions page)
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience working with children and adolescents
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants.
The following are not admission requirements, but they are required at different points during the program:
- Clear TB (tuberculosis) verification prior to beginning practicum hours
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting) prior to beginning practicum hours
- Passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) prior to completion of program's first year
- Professional liability insurance during internship semesters (available at a discount for student members of NASP)
- Passing score on the national school psychology (PRAXIS II) examination prior to completion of internship
Go Further With A PsyD in Educational Psychology In Two Additional Years
Master's candidates may seek admission to the PsyD in Educational Psychology during the program's second year. Doctoral-level coursework would begin after completion of year two of the program and concurrently with the third-year, 1200-hour PPS credential internship. Candidates then complete the doctoral coursework and research project during years four and five, allowing for completion of the master's program with PPS credential and the PsyD in five years.
School Psychology PPS Credential-Only Program For Qualified Candidates
If you seek a career as a school psychologist and already hold a master's degree in marriage and family therapy, counseling psychology, special education or another related field, you may be eligible for Alliant's Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential-only program in School Psychology.
Upcoming Information Sessions
- July 15, 2015 | 5:30 PM | Online | Register Now
- July 21, 2015 | 6:00 PM | San Francisco Campus | Register Now