Welcome to the Hufstedler School of Education
INNOVATION IN EDUCATION
At Alliant's Hufstedler School of Education, our goal is simple: to give you the tools you need to make a positive, lasting difference throughout your career in education.
Our holistic, real-world approach emphasizes not only theory, research and best practices in education, but also focuses on enriching that foundational knowledge through applied, hands-on experience in diverse, multicultural educational settings. The results are outstanding, well-prepared alumni who go on to begin or advance their careers as effective education professionals.
A LIFE-LONG LEARNING COMMUNITY
And the rewards don't stop there. As a student and alum, you become part of a learning community to which you may return again and again throughout your career for professional development, support and networking. Our alumni have distinguished themselves as teachers, administrators, mental health professionals and community advocates whose expertise is highly sought throughout California and around the world.
PROGRAMS THAT MEET YOUR NEEDS THROUGHOUT CALIFORNIA AND ONLINE
We offer graduate, undergraduate, credential and certificate programs supporting a broad range of careers in education. For your convenience, many classes are available during the evening, on weekends and online. And with multiple locations throughout California, you are sure to find a convenient program to meet your needs and ambitions. We offer:
- EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- EDUCATIONAL AND SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY
- TEACHER EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALING
- TEACHING ENGLISH TO SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES (TESOL)
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT (Undergraduate)
- LIBERAL STUDIES (Undergraduate - Mexico City Only)
CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY AND CTC-APPROVED CREDENTIAL PROGRAMS
Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Hufstedler School of Education’s credentialing programs are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
WE'RE PROUD TO BE PARTNERS
The Hufstedler School of Education proudly works with these organizations:
- AACTE -American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- AAIE - Association for the Advancement of International Education
- ACE – American Council on Education
- AERA – American Education Research Association
- ASCD – Association for School and Curriculum Development
- CASP - California Association of School Psychologists
- CCTC - California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- California Teacher Corps
- EnCorps Teacher Program
- ESL Teachers Board
- Aspire Schools
- Green Dot Schools
- KIP Schools
- NASP - National Association of School Psychologists
- Teach California
- Teach for America
- TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Global Educational Association
- Oakland Teaching Fellows
- WCCI - World Council for Curriculum and Instruction
ABOUT OUR REMARKABLE NAMESAKE
We are proud to uphold the pioneering spirit and advocacy for educational excellence set forth by the Honorable Shirley M. Hufstedler, the first U.S. Secretary of Education. Hufstedler served as the first U.S. Secretary of Education, appointed by President Jimmy Carter upon creation of the Department of Education in 1979. Hufstedler previously served for 11 years as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, appointed by President Lyndon Johnson. Secretary Hufstedler's career as a lawyer, jurist and public servant spans nearly 60 years. She holds more than 20 honorary doctorate degrees and has served on boards of trustees, governing boards and visiting committees for numerous foundations, institutions, corporations and universities. Alliant's School of Education was named in her honor in February, 2009.