World Council for Curriculum and Instruction
The United Nations on Campus
Since January 2002, the Hufstedler School of Education (HSOE) has been host institution to the World Council for Curriculum and Instruction (WCCI), a transnational organization committed to advancing the achievement of a just and peaceful world community. The WCCI is a non-governmental organization (NGO) of the United Nations.
Cross-Cultural Education Experts
The organization encourages and facilitates:
- Collaboration in curriculum and instruction projects
- Dialogue in global educational and social issues
- Exchange of ideas, concerns and solutions to problems
- Learning from each other cross-culturally and transnationally.
Enjoy United Nations "Matchable" Networking Opportunities
Alliant students enjoy multiple benefits from WCCI's presence on campus:
- Representatives and student interns attend conferences on the status of women, human rights, global education, the culture of peace and sustainable development.
- Students and faculty have the chance to network with WCCI's extensive global membership
- WCCI co-sponsors international conferences, symposia and workshops with Alliant, some of which are in conjunction with UN celebrations.
- WCCI also sponsors biennial world conferences, the next one, on sustainable development, to be held in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, December 28, 2012 to January 3, 2013.
WCCI's Director: International Inspiration
Dr. Estela C. Matriano, a professor at HSOE's San Diego campus, is the Executive Director of WCCI. Dr. Matriano was instrumental in organizing the International Students Association (ISA) on the San Diego campus and is ISA's current advisor. She is the first recipient of the International-Multicultural, Education, Research, Intervention and Teaching (IMERIT) award in San Diego and was one of the first recipients of the Provost Pillar Award on International and Multicultural Competencies.