The Community Academy
The Community Academy program is funded by the County of San Diego, Mental Health Services through the Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) Workforce Education and Training. The program is offered entirely at no cost and provides training and support to individuals and their family members with lived experience with mental illness. In line with national Recovery models, this program attaches value to the lived experience of individuals affected by mental illness and/or that gained from assisting their family members and has the end goal of these individuals along the pathway into the public mental health field.
Students accepted into this program are linked with certificate training programs through our partnering agencies--National Alliance on Mental Illness, Recovery Innovations of CA, and the Family and Youth Roundtable. Students receive a field placement, mentorship and are offered an array of additional trainings to tailor the program to their specific area(s) of interests as they move along their pathway into the public mental health field. A one-year commitment is required. Stipend assistance is offered on a need basis to assist with barriers that students may face as they work to obtain their career and academic goals.
How to Apply
Email: The Community Academy program at email@example.com
Current Literature on Mental Health Recovery and Workforce
- Framework for Health Promotion Services for People with Psychiatric Disabilities - (PDF)
- Seeing the Person Not The Illness - (PDF)
- Stigma in the Mental Health Workplace: Perceptions Of Peer Employees and Clinicians - (PDF)
- Systematic Review of Beliefs, Behaviors and Influencing Factors Associated with Disclosure of a Mental Health Problem in the Workplace - (PDF)
- The Personal and Vocational Impact of Training and Employing People with Psychiatric Disabilities as Provider - (PDF)
- Training and Education Needs of Consumers, Families, and Front-Line Staff In Behavioral Health Practice - (PDF)
- Transforming the Workforce in Children's Mental Health - (PDF)
Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. (Download Adobe Reader)