India Cultural Immersion Program
JOIN CSPP IN CHENNAI, INDIA!
Did you know that nearly 70% of Southeast Asian immigrants meet the criteria for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but very few access mental health services? The CSPP India Immersion Program is an enriching cultural experience providing profound opportunities for professional development.
LEARN THE SKILLS TO SERVE SOUTH ASIAN COMMUNITIES
India, an ancient seat of alternative healing and spiritual traditions, offers a great setting for an immersion program for mental health professionals who are intent on enhancing cross-cultural and international competencies, particularly with an eye towards better serving the needs of the South Asian communities.
The California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) offers its India Immersion Program in Chennai, India, every other year. Chennai is a city often called the cultural capital of Southern India for its deep-rooted traditions and long heritage. The most recent program took place and the next available program will be in January 2015.
SAMPLE SCHEDULE OF CULTURAL ACTIVITIES
Typically, the Chennai program includes a rich blend of activities, lectures, explorations and dialog and interaction with the community. In 2013, CSPP students:
- Visited a rural village project adopted by Madras School of Social Work and interacted with student participants
- Visited Kapaleeshwara Temple and heard a lecture on Vedanta and Hindu spirituality at the Ramakrishna Mission
- Celebrated Pongal (A Tamil harvest festival) with the local community
- Engaged in lectures on topics such as:
- The current social and political Issues in India
- The family system in India
- Islam in India
- Marital and family counseling in India
Two academic courses are offered during the program, both closely aligned with the essence of what India has to offer to the world. Representative courses from the past include:
- Mental Health Perspective in India: Holistic Healing and Nonviolence
- Special Topics: Multicultural Self Awareness Development